Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » FTP Dump file Over Network (Red hat Enterprise Linux as release 4 <Nahant Update 8>)
FTP Dump file Over Network [message #451920] Mon, 19 April 2010 00:28 Go to next message
AshrafKittaneh26
Dear All,

I have A Daily hot backup using Expdp Command On oracle 10g R2 installed on the Linux server. And I'm trying to move this Dump File to Another directory on Windows server 2003 over network using Ftp script which will be run after the export process finished Automatically.

Any Body Have any Idea How To do that. By the way i want the Ftp script only. or any other idea.

Any help will be appreciated.
thnx. Smile
Re: FTP Dump file Over Network [message #451921 is a reply to message #451920] Mon, 19 April 2010 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I have A Daily hot backup using Expdp Command
EXPDP is NOT a "hot backup"!
Re: FTP Dump file Over Network [message #451924 is a reply to message #451920] Mon, 19 April 2010 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Use DBMS_TRANSFER.

And use a REAL backup strategy.

Regards
Michel
Re: FTP Dump file Over Network [message #451933 is a reply to message #451924] Mon, 19 April 2010 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AshrafKittaneh26
Embarassed Confused Actually Im new to oracle DBA.

we allready have a Cold backup running at night.
but we used to take a dump file of the database dailly and keep it on tapes that work only on server with windows OS.
Thanks
Re: FTP Dump file Over Network [message #451936 is a reply to message #451933] Mon, 19 April 2010 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Use RMAN instead.
If you lose a file and have only a dump what will you do?

Regards
Michel
Re: FTP Dump file Over Network [message #451951 is a reply to message #451920] Mon, 19 April 2010 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Apart from all that's being said, the original question is still unanswered. Although it addresses FTP, I guess it is allowed as we talk about moving Oracle files around.

I don't use Linux so - here's a DOS (Windows) + OpenVMS combination version of the same. Export file was on a VMS machine, and we wanted to FTP it to a PC under MS Windows. Both VMS_WINDOWS.BAT and BFTP files are on a PC.
-- VMS_WINDOWS.BAT
-- 111.222.333.444 is IP address of a computer that contains 
-- FTP uses information written in a script named BFTP
c:
cd c:\temp
ftp -s:c:\temp\bftp 111.222.333.444

-- BFTP (this file doesn't have any extension)
-- this script "simulates" user's input. Using it, you don't have
-- to type that manually. Comments (right hand column) are NOT
-- part of the script! I wrote them for you, now.
system                  -- OpenVMS user who "owns" export file
password_here           -- password that belongs to a user 
cd disk5:[000000]       -- go to directory that contains export file
lcd                     -- change local working directory
binary                  -- FTP mode should be BINARY
mget baza*.dmp          -- get all BAZA*.DMP files over here!
bye                     -- see you again

As you can see, what we did was GET. Your situation is a little bit different as you'd probably want to PUT a file (from Linux to Windows); I guess that it shouldn't be a problem. My example was just an example, so that you'd see one possible way to do that.

Anyway, there are numerous FTP related sites around so - google a little bit to get familiar with FTP commands. It shouldn't be too difficult to make it work. (However, you'd probably want to FTP much smaller files while testing, not database export file itself!)
Re: FTP Dump file Over Network [message #451955 is a reply to message #451951] Mon, 19 April 2010 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I thought mentioning DBMS_TRANFER would answer the question as expdp API is available in PL/SQL then all the steps can be done at this level.

Regards
Michel
Re: FTP Dump file Over Network [message #452102 is a reply to message #451955] Tue, 20 April 2010 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AshrafKittaneh26
Thanks For All,
But we take backup For our system in two ways:
First: Which is that wa export full database as dbf files whith archive mode on linux and write them on tapes daily as a cold backup Successfully Smile.
Second: we take a dump file for the schema we have, and write it on another tape.
now here is the problem that when i use the Expdp command i should assign a database directory name and which sould be on the same server. and then move it to another server which contains the tape drive via network.

Thanks Littlefoot for your Idea, i'll try it and update you soon.
Re: FTP Dump file Over Network [message #452151 is a reply to message #451920] Tue, 20 April 2010 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I'd really seriously abandon that plan and use RMAN instead as already suggested.
Re: FTP Dump file Over Network [message #465715 is a reply to message #452151] Thu, 15 July 2010 06:53 Go to previous message
sanju_chenna
i always use DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER.GET_FILE for transfer of dump file
BEGIN
DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER.GET_FILE(source_directory_object =>
'DATA_PUMP_DIR', source_file_name => 'DUMP_FILE.DMP',
source_database => 'dest_LINK', destination_directory_object =>
'DATA_PUMP_DIR', destination_file_name => 'DUMP_FILE.DMP');
END;
/

use can use this link ..please add http at begining ...
//psoug.org/reference/dbms_file_trans.html

[Updated on: Thu, 15 July 2010 06:54]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Re: Create a External Table in Oracle 10g:==> ERROR: KUP-01005 (split from hijacked thread by bb
Next Topic: data_pump name_expr
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:04:49 CDT 2024