Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Data Guard setup/ Archive Destination configuration (Oracle 9.2.0.8)
Data Guard setup/ Archive Destination configuration [message #501324] Mon, 28 March 2011 09:40 Go to next message
firedup123
Hello Gurus,

We have a request to configure data guard for databases on the production server. Here is my situation:

We have a backup strategy in place where the backups are being taken on a regular basis. Archive logs are deleted as soon as they are backed up.

My question now is , is there a way of configuring the Data guard in such a way that there would be no change to existing backup strategy (RMAN) and still duplicate the archive logs to another destination and not delete the archive logs by RMAN backup process on that destination while the first destination is deleted.

We will be deleting the logs in the second archive destination using a script which checks if the logs were applied.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any other information from me.

Thanks,
Re: Data Guard setup/ Archive Destination configuration [message #501328 is a reply to message #501324] Mon, 28 March 2011 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
what prevent archive log from being deleted from PRIMARY BEFORE it gets applied to STANDBY?

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Re: Data Guard setup/ Archive Destination configuration [message #501329 is a reply to message #501328] Mon, 28 March 2011 10:09 Go to previous message
firedup123
Thankyou for your quick reply BlackSwan!

Oracle Version: Oracle 9.2.0.8

"what prevent archive log from being deleted from PRIMARY BEFORE it gets applied to STANDBY?"

There is nothing preventing from deleting the logs from PRIMARY before it gets applied to STANDBY.

I want to use multiple archive destinations on the primary server, so that my RMAN backups only backup the logs from one destination and deletes the logs on it, where as the other destination will be having the logs intact (nothing will be deleted). Reason to do that is, to avoid any logs missing (RMAN backup deleted them) even before the apply was done on standby.

I have read the link you have sent. Not sure if i am missing anything here.Please let me know if i did put my questions right this time. Sorry for not being clear.

Thankyou.
Previous Topic: Sudden lost to a standby box
Next Topic: Data Broker fails to enable databse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:56:23 CDT 2024