Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Corrupt block header, no backup, need media recovery
Corrupt block header, no backup, need media recovery [message #54841] Mon, 09 December 2002 12:52 Go to next message
Garth Neumeyer
I've got an Oracle DB (8.05) on a RAID 5 disk which crashed.

Current state:
One data file requires media recovery
Archivelogmode = true
Entering "Recover datafile '<blah>'" generates
ORA-00353 & ORA-00354 errors (Corrupt redo log
block header)
No valid backup for this database

We don't particularly care about any data loss, we just want to get the database back up. Any suggestions?
Re: Corrupt block header, no backup, need media recovery [message #54844 is a reply to message #54841] Mon, 09 December 2002 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
1. Bring the database to mount stage ( if possible, do a clean shutdown and issue startup mount).
2. issue the following
   ALTER DATABASE CLEAR UNARCHIVED LOGFILE ' < your_logfile_path_as_shown_in_error >'; 
3. If Everything is OK,
   open the database.
   and do a clean shutdown again.
   and startover.

Re: Corrupt block header, no backup, need media recovery [message #54846 is a reply to message #54844] Mon, 09 December 2002 14:19 Go to previous message
Garth Neumeyer
Thank you. I'm now getting a checksum error on one of the archived logs. I try to do a recover until cancel, but am now getting ORA-1547 indicating that OPEN RESETLOGS will generate an error because the SYSTEM datafile requires further recovery to be consistent. Is there a way to bypass this error and/or recover the SYSTEM datafile?
Previous Topic: Recover Database from Online backup with no redo logs files.
Next Topic: Temp Tablespace Backup in Oracle 9i.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:12:18 CDT 2024