Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Temp Tablespace Backup in Oracle 9i.
Temp Tablespace Backup in Oracle 9i. [message #54943] Tue, 17 December 2002 15:47 Go to next message
Latish Ch
Just a question , Is there any architecural changes done in oracle 9i with respect to TEMP Tablespace backup?

Oracle 8i.

1) Query select ts#,name from v$tablespace shows all the tablespace numbers and names.
Query select name from v$datafile where ts#='TEMP Tablespace number' shows the Datafile associated with Temp Tablespace.
And the datafile exists in the data folder of oracle.

Oracle 9i.

2) Query select ts#,name from v$tablespace shows all the tablespace numbers and names.
Query select name from v$datafile where ts#='TEMP Tablespace number' shows "NO ROWS SELECTED".
But the Datafile associated with Temp tablespace exists on disk.

Please let me know of any configuration changes in Oracle 9i with backups of TEMP Tablespace.

I'm sure of some configuration change, just trying to find out the reason or cause for this , if at all done
and also let me know of any articles available from oracle on this.

Regards,
Latish
Re: Temp Tablespace Backup in Oracle 9i. [message #54950 is a reply to message #54943] Wed, 18 December 2002 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
first,
WHY DO U NEED TO BACKUP A TEMP TABLESPACE?
There is NO USE of it 

Re: Temp Tablespace Backup in Oracle 9i. [message #54952 is a reply to message #54943] Wed, 18 December 2002 12:16 Go to previous message
N.A.Jam
8i introduced locally managed tablespace. Oracle created a new filetype called tempfiles to allow tablespaces set to temporary to take advantage of locally manager tablespace. Try selecting from v$tempfile and see if you find what you were looking for.

This is my understanding and any comments or corrections are welcome.

Cheers everyone.
Previous Topic: Corrupt block header, no backup, need media recovery
Next Topic: Removing obsolete archived logs from RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:48:45 CDT 2024