Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Right method of taking backup for web sites
Right method of taking backup for web sites [message #55080] Thu, 02 January 2003 03:14 Go to next message
Manu Gupta
Hi All,

I have few web sites using Java Web Server and Oracle 8.0.4, 8.1.7 database. I daily take logical backup using export utility. Before starting backup I check if there are any sessions created, if so I kill all of them by shutting down Java Web Server. Once satisfied I start backup which almost take 15 min.

I want to know is there any method by which I don't have to shutdown Java Web Server so that users keep doing work on site along with exported file maintains integrity of data.

Thank you

Manu
Re: Right method of taking backup for web sites [message #55086 is a reply to message #55080] Thu, 02 January 2003 12:57 Go to previous message
sharan alva
Logical backup is fine, It is one of the backup strategies. The other are cold backup i.e. shutdown the database normal and copy the datafiles to tape etc. The third is hotbackup or online backup where the database is up and running and you put the tablespaces in backup mode one by one and copy the datafiles associated across and finally you take the tbsp out of backup mode by end backup command. However you will need to have the database in archive log mode. This will allow you to do point in time recovery which export cannot. Exports are normally used secondary to a datafile backup.. and should not be your main backup strategy...
Previous Topic: RMAN Backup
Next Topic: database recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:17:19 CDT 2024