Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN catalog in the target database
RMAN catalog in the target database [message #56117] Thu, 06 March 2003 17:44 Go to next message
Jeff
Can somebody explain to me the dangers of having your RMAN recovery catalog located in your target database (Actually, if you don't have a separate recovery catlog databases, isn't it located in the controlfiles for your target database)? I know that it is suggested to have a separate recovery catalog database, but I'm not 100% of the reason for this. What are the risks of having the recovery catalog in the target database's controlfile instead of a full-fledged RMAN database on a separate server?
Re: RMAN catalog in the target database [message #56128 is a reply to message #56117] Fri, 07 March 2003 02:56 Go to previous message
psmyth
if you lose the server that your target database is running on, and you have your rman catalog on that database, then obviously you have lost your means of recovering the target database.

Having the catalog held on a separate server means that if your lose the target, you can recover it to a new server, for example, immediately.
Previous Topic: RMAN catalog in the target database risks?
Next Topic: RMAN Backups
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:40:07 CDT 2024