Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Backups
RMAN Backups [message #56160] Mon, 10 March 2003 11:03
randy
I'have a some what complex situation here that I need some thoughts on the best approach
to use RMAN to back up my database. I have throughly exhausted all the possible scenarios and read
throughly all the docs. but none seems to to be able to to fit what I would like to implement.
Please let me know what your thoughts are on this issue.

I have a terabyte size database which is very very INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE intensive as well as
multiple bulk loads intensive during the day. Because of this, the database is not in archive
mode due to the disk space that would be required for the archival logs. I put it archive mode
couple of times but regardless of the size of the file system, I get into archival hanging
scenarios. Bussiness decision says I we can't afford disks for archival purposes

All the tables in the database except the control tables are partitioned and all the
old partitioned tablespaces are in read only mode. The only tablespaces that are in
read write at any particular time are those that contain the current partitions,
rollbacks,system,temp,users. These partitions go as far back as 3 years.

At the end of every month, the month's tablespaces are made read only.

Due to the size of the database, backing it up to disk is out of the question because that
would mean getting another 1 terabyte disk to hold the backups.
I can afford to do backups once a week because if I happen to loose a weeks data, I can
run the file to load the data agian. Those files that load the database are kept for a 2 weeks

Recovery time is also very important. I can affford about 2 hours of down time.
Assuming RMAN is my backup and recovery method and I do backup to tape.

Assuming I have lost the entire database and all the disks are gone. I would like to restore
the current partitions immediately and open the database for use. After that has being
accomplished the restore the old partitions. This is because restoring all the database
would take a long time which I can't afford so I would prefer to restore
the current partitions immediately since that would take less time then later apply the
older partitions.

Assuming that you are faced with this described scenario,

QUESTION1:
Is there any way I can use RMAN to recover the current partitions and bring the database
up immediately for users to use, then later apply the old partitions?
If yes please explain and also what you think the RMAN backup approach should look like.

QUESTION2:

If RMAN can't handle this situation, what would you consider to be the best way to
deal with this issue?

All comments/critiques/questions are welcome
Previous Topic: RMAN catalog in the target database
Next Topic: database recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:23:00 CDT 2024