Home » Other » Client Tools » PL/SQL Developer vs. Oracle Discoverer
PL/SQL Developer vs. Oracle Discoverer [message #659406] Sun, 15 January 2017 21:33 Go to next message
Scottie31
I'm currently using PL/SQL Developer and we are considering moving to Oracle Discoverer. Just wondering if Discoverer will perform the same as Developer or will I run into issues. Will I be able to create temp tables and sub queries using Discoverer? Any feed back would be appreciated.
Re: PL/SQL Developer vs. Oracle Discoverer [message #659407 is a reply to message #659406] Sun, 15 January 2017 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
More often than not, there is no need for temp table when accessing Oracle database.

Please post working example where you deem temp table as necessary.
Re: PL/SQL Developer vs. Oracle Discoverer [message #659408 is a reply to message #659407] Mon, 16 January 2017 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I've never even seen PL/SQL Developer nor Oracle Discoverer, but - reading discussions here and there and doing some Google research - I'd rather compare PL/SQL Developer with SQL*Plus or TOAD or Oracle SQL Developer (i.e. not Oracle BI Discoverer), but I might be wrong.

As far as I can tell, you can't create any objects in Discoverer; however, you can query tables and views that are available in your business area, create graphs, analyze data or whatever it allows you to do, but it won't let you create new objects but - again - I might be wrong.
Re: PL/SQL Developer vs. Oracle Discoverer [message #659409 is a reply to message #659406] Mon, 16 January 2017 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Discoverer is (or was) a tool for end users, not developers. It requires a significant infrastructure, and to make it usable a lot of setup. Furthermore, premier support stopped in 2014, extended support stops in a few months. Probably not a good idea to implement it now.
Re: PL/SQL Developer vs. Oracle Discoverer [message #659431 is a reply to message #659409] Mon, 16 January 2017 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scottie31
I guess I should clarify a little. I'm part of a team that provides reports for internal and external clients. We currently use both PL/SQL Developer and Oracle Discoverer but the majority of our queries are completed using PL/SQL Developer and then the data is dumped to Excel to produce our reports. The only time we currently use Oracle Discoverer is to produce a query that we can then share with others in the company so they can run the query anytime they want. Our company is now looking at moving to using Oracle Discoverer only due to better security features so we have been advised.
Re: PL/SQL Developer vs. Oracle Discoverer [message #659433 is a reply to message #659431] Mon, 16 January 2017 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Why are you moving to an obsoleted & unsupported product?

> Our company is now looking at moving to using Oracle Discoverer only due to better security features so we have been advised.
Better than what exactly? Better as measured how exactly?
Oracle data security is based upon username & password access, so I fail to understand any security difference between two client software logging in as same user.
Is reporting activity connecting to Production OLTP database?

Re: PL/SQL Developer vs. Oracle Discoverer [message #659434 is a reply to message #659433] Mon, 16 January 2017 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scottie31
We have a data warehouse and try not to use any base tables unless we absolutely have to. I'm not sure how they figure the security is better as you mentioned we all login with a username and password.
Re: PL/SQL Developer vs. Oracle Discoverer [message #659436 is a reply to message #659434] Tue, 17 January 2017 01:37 Go to previous message
John Watson
Perhaps the client wants to reduce the work required by you and your colleagues. Discoverer is an end user tool. If the end user layer is appropriately designed, users do everything themselves without any need for developer input. It is very good that way. Performance can be a problem.
Previous Topic: SQL Developer Won't start
Next Topic: Unable to get sql buffer facility
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:40:28 CDT 2024