Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Using Rubrik to back Oracle DBs
Using Rubrik to back Oracle DBs [message #680743] Fri, 05 June 2020 06:24 Go to next message
spangles
Hi, company I work for have purchased a backup solution called Rubrik. Going to be used corporately to backup Windows and Linux servers, VMWare, and now SQL Server and Oracle DBs.

Anybody out there using Rubrik to backup Oracle DBs and what are your experiences with it?

Re: Using Rubrik to back Oracle DBs [message #680744 is a reply to message #680743] Fri, 05 June 2020 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
spangles wrote on Fri, 05 June 2020 06:24
Hi, company I work for have purchased a backup solution called Rubrik. Going to be used corporately to backup Windows and Linux servers, VMWare, and now SQL Server and Oracle DBs.

Anybody out there using Rubrik to backup Oracle DBs and what are your experiences with it?

I'm not familiar with that product, but with my butt on the line to recover a database, I'd never rely on anything other than oracle's own 'rman' backup and recovery utility. Backing up an oracle database is nothing like backing up a server, or backing up document files. I did have a utility once (can't remember it) that actually relied on rman, while it simply provided a more friendly interface. That was fine, but when the crunch comes, I don't want to depend on something other than rman.

Now, if you want to use your company's (mis)chosen standard to backup the backups, that's fine.
Re: Using Rubrik to back Oracle DBs [message #680745 is a reply to message #680744] Fri, 05 June 2020 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spangles
Thanks Ed, I hear you loud and clear but the problem is at our company the management have been sold Rubrik to replace the current corporate backup product NetBackup across the IT estate, servers, VMs and now DBs.

We've been told me need to use Rubrik for Oracle backups. I've been using the product for 6 months, we've not gone live with it on Oracle as we have had some issues with the product. Rubrik itself utilises RMAN.

It looks to me that Rubrik is probably a great solution for servers, VMs etc but it is really an immature product for Databases and Rubrik are trying to break ground to sell it as a value add on.

I'm just interested to see if there are any DBAs out there using this product successfully.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 June 2020 13:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using Rubrik to back Oracle DBs [message #680749 is a reply to message #680745] Sat, 06 June 2020 10:28 Go to previous message
EdStevens
IF, as you say, it ends up just being a front-end for rman, then there might be hope. I'd want to test it under several scenarios. like - every scenario covered in the "Diagnosing and Responding to Failures" section of the Database Backup and Recovery User's Guide. And consider if you can perform the recovories with just bare rman even though you whiz-bang tool managed the backups. As long as the tool is actually invoking rman, this should be possible.

At one shop I worked, we used to joke that the biggest threat to our systems was a female marketing rep in a tight skirt and low-cut blouse.
Previous Topic: issue with disabling block chnage tracking
Next Topic: Restore backup to another db server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:55:57 CDT 2024