Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle (Oracle 11g)
check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688073] Wed, 16 August 2023 08:14 Go to next message
Nicha
There are 3 tables in the system, which may be more in the future, with account information whose main table is [ept01], referred to as table 1. All accounts, when created, must exist in this table as well as in the secondary tables "Table 2" with alias [ept02], and "Table 3" alias [ept03].

Below is a simplified representation of the 3 tables:

/forum/fa/14728/0/

I need to build a Query that shows all the accounts that exist in the main table [ept01] but not in each of the secondary tables, and vice-versa. This Query must have a Control field that shows where the Account is missing from, as shown below:

Result Query
----------------------------------------------------------
Account_ID Control_ID Client_ID Timestamp
A3        ept_02_01    C2        yyyy-mm-d2     : The account exists in ept02 but not in ept01
A3        ept_03_01    C2        yyyy-mm-d2     : The account exists in ept03 but not in ept01
A7        ept_01_02    C3        yyyy-mm-d3     : The account exists in ept01 but not in ept02

Control_ID
Format : ept_t1_tn
       where, (t1) is the table that has the account,
       and (tn) has not.
Example :
 ept_02_01 The account exists in ept02 but not in ept01
 ept_01_03 The account exists in ept01 but not in ept03

The Query result must show all the accounts that exist in the main table [ept01],
and not in each of the secondary tables, and vice-versa, ordered by [Account_ID], [Control_ID],
as shown above. That Control Field [Control_ID] can result from a Case Statement.
The [Client_ID] and the [Timestamp] both come from the respective source tables, where the account exists.

Can anyone help please?

[Updated on: Wed, 16 August 2023 08:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688074 is a reply to message #688073] Wed, 16 August 2023 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

From your previous topic:

Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 03 March 2023 17:49

With any SQL or PL/SQL question, please, post a working Test case: create table (including all constraints) and insert statements [...].

Also always post your Oracle version, with 4 decimals (query v$version), as often solution depends on it.
Re: check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688075 is a reply to message #688074] Wed, 16 August 2023 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicha
Thank you Michel for the Allert.

TEST CASE
---------------------------------------------------
CREATE TABLE ept01
(
 Account_ID    VARCHAR2(2)                     NOT NULL,
 Client_ID     VARCHAR2(2)                     NOT NULL,
 Timestamp     VARCHAR2(10)                    NOT NULL,
)

insert into ept01 values ('A1','C1','yyyy-mm-d1');
insert into ept01 values ('A2','C1','yyyy-mm-d1');
insert into ept01 values ('A4','C2','yyyy-mm-d2');
insert into ept01 values ('A5','C3','yyyy-mm-d3');
insert into ept01 values ('A7','C3','yyyy-mm-d3');
insert into ept01 values ('A8','C4','yyyy-mm-d4');
insert into ept01 values ('A9','C4','yyyy-mm-d5');
insert into ept01 values ('A10','C5','yyyy-mm-d5');

CREATE TABLE ept02
(
)

insert into ept01 values ('A3','C2','yyyy-mm-d2');
insert into ept01 values ('A4','C2','yyyy-mm-d3');

CREATE TABLE ept03
(
)

insert into ept01 values ('A3','C2','yyyy-mm-d2');
insert into ept01 values ('A4','C2','yyyy-mm-d3');
insert into ept01 values ('A7','C3','yyyy-mm-d3');
Re: check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688076 is a reply to message #688074] Wed, 16 August 2023 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Assuming account_id is unique in each table:

with t as (
            select  account_id,
                    1 tbl_flag
              from  ept01
           union all
            select  account_id,
                    2 tbl_flag
              from  ept02
           union all
            select  account_id,
                    4 tbl_flag
              from  ept03
          )
select  case sum(tbl_flag)
          when 1 then 'Account is missing in ept02 and ept03'
          when 2 then 'Account is missing in ept01 and ept03'
          when 4 then 'Account is missing in ept01 and ept02'
          when 3 then 'Account is missing in ept 03'
          when 5 then 'Account is missing in ept 02'
          when 6 then 'Account is missing in ept 01'
        end missing_accounts
  from  t
  group by account_id
  having sum(tbl_flag) != 7
/
SY.
P.S. change sum(tbl_flag) to sum(distinct tbl_flag) if account_id isn't unique within tables.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 August 2023 09:09]

Re: check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688080 is a reply to message #688076] Wed, 16 August 2023 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicha
Thank you Solomon for your help.
As I mentioned, the number of tables will increase in future - up to 8. Using your idea what could be the best performance SQL approach?

Starting from your idea, and make a UNION with all FULL JOINs between ept01 and the secondary tables, like below (pseudo code), because I don't know how to do it??????

with t as (
            select  A.*
              from  ept01 A
    Full Join
     ept02 B
on A.account_id = B.account_id

union all

select  A.*
              from  ept01 A
    Full Join
     ept03 B
on A.account_id = B.account_id

union all

etc..... for (ept01 with ept04; ept01 with ept05; ept01 with ept06, and finally for ept01 with ept08)

)

If this is a worst approach, can you please show me how improve yours?

My best regards

[Updated on: Wed, 16 August 2023 10:13]

Re: check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688084 is a reply to message #688080] Wed, 16 August 2023 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Your approach results in N full joins and it always selects EPT01.* so if, for example EPT02 has ACCOUNT_ID that is not in EPT01 full join will return EPT01 columns as NULL. So you'll know account id is missing in EPT01 but you'll not know what account id is it. You need to select ACCOUNT_ID from both tables. This way not null ACCOUNT_ID in EPT01 and null ACCOUNT_ID in EPT02 means EPT02 is missing that not null ACCOUNT_ID in EPT01 and not null ACCOUNT_ID in EPT02 and null ACCOUNT_ID in EPT01 means EPT01 is missing that not null ACCOUNT_ID in EPT02. And performance wise N full joins will be less effectivs vs N union all + group by. However, adding WHERE clauses in CASE used in my solution will be very cumbersome when number of tables is 8. This can be simplified by using collections. Create type:

create or replace
  type str_list
    as
      table of varchar2(4000)
/
Now we can do something like:

with t as (
            select  account_id,
                    cast('EPT01' as varchar2(4000)) tbl
              from  ept01
           union all
            select  account_id,
                    'EPT02' tbl
              from  ept02
           union all
            select  account_id,
                    'EPT03' tbl
              from  ept03
           union all
            select  account_id,
                    'EPT08' tbl
              from  ept08
          )
select  account_id,
        str_list('EPT01','EPT02','EPT03',...'EPT08') multiset except cast(collect(tbl) as str_list) account_id_is_missing_in
  from  t
  group by account_id
  having str_list('EPT01','EPT02','EPT03',...'EPT08') multiset except cast(collect(tbl) as str_list) != str_list()
/
Just replace elipses with your current set of table names. For example:

with t as (
            select  job,
                    cast('deptno 10' as varchar2(4000)) d
              from  emp
              where deptno = 10
           union all
            select  job,
                    'deptno 20' d
              from  emp
              where deptno = 20
           union all
            select  job,
                    'deptno 30' d
              from  emp
              where deptno = 30
          )
select  job,
        str_list('deptno 10','deptno 20','deptno 30') multiset except cast(collect(d) as str_list) job_is_missing_in
  from  t
  group by job
  having str_list('deptno 10','deptno 20','deptno 30') multiset except cast(collect(d) as str_list) != str_list()
/

JOB       JOB_IS_MISSING_IN
--------- ----------------------------------------
ANALYST   STR_LIST('deptno 10', 'deptno 30')
PRESIDENT STR_LIST('deptno 20', 'deptno 30')
SALESMAN  STR_LIST('deptno 10', 'deptno 20')

SQL>
SY.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 August 2023 11:16]

Re: check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688086 is a reply to message #688084] Wed, 16 August 2023 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicha
Manny thanks to you once more. I need to study your solution cause it's the the first time I see using collections in sql.
But in case I can't understand it, I'll have to use your first solution.
Then, if I understand the 4th table will have the control number 8, right?
In the first solution you didn't use the Timestamp. To use it it must be in group by too?
Re: check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688087 is a reply to message #688086] Wed, 16 August 2023 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solomon Yakobson
Yes, you will have to use 8, 16, 32, 64, 129, 256 etc, (in general you use POWER(2,N - 1)) as tbl_flag if you decide to use my first solution. But number of possible tbl_flag combinations with 8 tables will be very high, so you will end up with huge number og brancches in CASE expression. That's why using collection simplifies it.

SY.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 August 2023 13:24]

Re: check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688090 is a reply to message #688087] Wed, 16 August 2023 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicha
OK. My best regards to you. Thank's for your knowledge and patience.
Re: check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688091 is a reply to message #688075] Wed, 16 August 2023 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mathguy
It helps no one if you post CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements that you don't test yourself first. You just create a huge waste of time for everyone.

If you had tried your statements, you would have found several mistakes right away (and easy to fix, too). You have an unnecessary and error-causing comma after the last column declaration in each CREATE TABLE statement. You don't have semicolon after each CREATE TABLE. You declare account_id of length 2 but then want to insert A10, which is three characters. You create three tables, but all of your INSERT statements insert just in the first table. I stopped after this one; maybe there are more, I just lost my patience.

This drives me mad. Not just you - a lot of other posters, on many sites. If you go to the trouble to create the statements, how hard is it to also test them, to make sure they are correct?
Re: check the integrity of a field between 3 or more tables - SQL Oracle [message #688095 is a reply to message #688091] Wed, 16 August 2023 17:59 Go to previous message
Nicha
I agree with your criticism of my post.  My sincere apologies.
I hoped that the image was sufficiently enlightening, also because reality is much more complex and not always possible to recreate through the CREATE and INSERT instructions.  If it is not possible for you to contribute to the solution, I appreciate the criticism, and I will try to improve in future posts.
Previous Topic: How to access URL's from your database that are accessible from your browser
Next Topic: High Storage Consumption for LOB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:22:02 CDT 2024