Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Create a database with the backup (but not a standby)
Create a database with the backup (but not a standby) [message #61210] Mon, 05 April 2004 15:23 Go to next message
gulshan
Hi...All
I had a Oracle database on windows NT. I was using the version 8i. But due to some cause my system crashes and then i have copied my all the files (datafiles and redo log files) to another harddisk. I have control file and parameter file also. Now i have installed windows 2000 professional and Oracle 9i. Can i create the database with the same name from the backup that i already have. can i create a new database with the same name that i prior had by creating the new control file. Please give me suggestion.

Thanks
Re: Create a database with the backup (but not a standby) [message #61214 is a reply to message #61210] Mon, 05 April 2004 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anatol Ciolac
At first you must to istall Oracle 8i , to start your database and migrate them. If you will try to work with 8i database in 9i enviroment very possible that you will take a lot of error(or possible that you will cannot to work with database).
Re: Create a database with the backup (but not a standby) [message #61234 is a reply to message #61210] Tue, 06 April 2004 10:28 Go to previous message
Thiru
Nope,you cannot use the 8i database datafiles with 9i ORACLE_HOME directly. As Anatol mentioned,install 8i and first make sure its operational under 8i environment. Then you can either migrate to 9i using the migration utility or precreate a fresh database in 9i and export/import from the 8i database. Export/import gives you the option of reorganising the database cleanly(improves performance) and also customize the tablespaces etc.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: taking backup from visual basic
Next Topic: backup problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:19:44 CDT 2024