Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup/Transportable tablespace/Adding data.suggestions?
Backup/Transportable tablespace/Adding data.suggestions? [message #63501] Mon, 11 October 2004 07:02
Misha
Hi all,

We are designing/building a 7TB datawarehouse and currently redesigning the archiving procedure. We have all data partitioned by day and what we want to achieve is at the end of our rolling timewindow remove the oldest partion (or table space) and archive it on tape or such.

However, due to the nature of our source data it can happen dat data needs to be added to that particular partition/tablespace, which raises the following question with me:

1) Since we have removed the partition (or multiple if we remove the table space). The old data which comes in late, will be stored in the MAX bucket of the partition (we have one large partition at the end of the range for dates which fall not in any of the mentioned partitions)?

2) Ideally you want to restore the old partition/table space before the data comes in, but we never know what the data is before we see it ;-) Otherwise, you'll want to implement a clean-up process to move all this data from the max bucket to the appropriate partion/table space.

As you see this is more thinking out loud than full questions. I guess what I am looking for is people who might have similar set-ups and/or have suggestions how to deal with this.

Any comment is greatly appreciated....

Cheers,

Misha
Previous Topic: rman logs with date
Next Topic: database backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:43:47 CDT 2024