Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » how to backup database from 1 server to another
how to backup database from 1 server to another [message #71953] Mon, 10 February 2003 21:43 Go to next message
pennie
I have a database at server A and I need to backup the database to a remote server everyday. Currently, I used the 'rcp' command to remote copy all the database files. The database is getting bigger and bigger. and it takes a long time to finish rcp.
Is there any way that I only rcp certain database files (like datafiles) instead of all database files?
Re: how to backup database from 1 server to another [message #71957 is a reply to message #71953] Mon, 10 February 2003 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manish mendiratta
I donot know which version of oracle you are using.
Just see if you can use backup by transporting only tablespaces.
This is a new feature in oracle export utility with option of TRANSPORT TABLESPACES=Y
See documentation for help.
Re: how to backup database from 1 server to another [message #71959 is a reply to message #71953] Mon, 10 February 2003 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pennie
I am using the oracle version 8.1.6 at Sun server. At the meantime, I rcp the datafiles, index files system file control files and etc to a remote server. After finish rcp, I manage to bring up the database.
It's time consuming by rcp all these files.

Backup by transporting only tablespaces? Is it under the export utilities? Is there any other ways??
Thanks a lot
Re: how to backup database from 1 server to another [message #71962 is a reply to message #71953] Tue, 11 February 2003 00:22 Go to previous message
manish mendiratta
Yes it is under export utility. If you are using 8.1.6 enterprise edition then this is there
After runinng this command OS copy the datafiles, copy then and then use import.
See oracle documentation for more help.
Previous Topic: diff between hot, cold backup
Next Topic: Re: Safe to *not backup* index tablespace?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:12:57 CDT 2024