Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Clarification on Import / Export
Clarification on Import / Export [message #74310] Tue, 09 November 2004 21:26 Go to next message
karthik kumar
Hi,

I have a production system running Oracle 8.0.4. I need to upgrade this to Oracle 9.2.0.5.

I got to know from this site that a direct upgrade is not possible from 8.0.4 to 9.2.0.5. I have to first upgrade to 8.0.6 and then to 9.2.0.5.

I would be doing this process in a parallel environment as my production cannot be shut down and convert that env to my production environment when the upgrade is done.

My clarification is, after testing my 9.2 upgrade in the new environment, can I export the data in my production environment which runs 8.0.4 and import it into 9.2.0.5 ? Would it have any issues....if yes what are the issues that I would be facing in this operation ??

Thanks in advance experts !!

Re: Clarification on Import / Export [message #74311 is a reply to message #74310] Wed, 10 November 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

It should work. However, you don't need the interim 8.0.6 upgrade when using the import/export method. Just create a new empty Oracle 9.2.0 database, export the data from live and import into the new DB.

When you are ready for the final cut-over, drop all objects in the 9i DB, export the old DB and import again.

This is documented in the Oracle9i Migrations Guide. See chapter 2: Choose an Upgrade Method.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Clarification on Import / Export [message #74312 is a reply to message #74310] Wed, 10 November 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>My clarification is, after testing my 9.2 upgrade in the new environment, can I export the data in my production environment which runs 8.0.4 and import it into 9.2.0.5 ? Would it have any issues....if yes what are the issues that I would be facing in this operation ??

Yes.
You can do the import into 9i database from 8.0 database.
1. do export using 8.0 version of export.
use the same version imp tool (8.0) to import into 9i.
You cannot use 9i version to do the import.
or
if you insist
install 9i version export/import views in 8i database by running catexp.sql

2. The import goes good, as long as there no complicated objects like text/intermedia/etc involved.
Simple oracle tables/data/stored proc can go good without any issues.
Re: Clarification on Import / Export [message #74322 is a reply to message #74310] Mon, 15 November 2004 01:59 Go to previous message
karthik kumar
Thank You ....Frank and Mahesh
Previous Topic: Very urgent ORA-12154 TNS Could not resolve service name error
Next Topic: TSPITR Export Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 01:07:52 CDT 2024