Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Can I attach a cold backup of one instance to another instance
Can I attach a cold backup of one instance to another instance [message #109340] Wed, 23 February 2005 18:26 Go to next message
santosh
I have one oracle database DB1 on server S1. I took a cold backup of this database and placed on one network drive. Server S1 is damaged. Now I want to make the database DB1 available to users. I have another server S2. I have one instance already running INST2 on server S2. Can I use cold backup of DB1 to attach to INST2 on sevrver S2 and make it available to users

Regards
Santosh
Re: Can I attach a cold backup of one instance to another instance [message #109347 is a reply to message #109340] Thu, 24 February 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Oracle datafiles from cold backup are not plug-and-play devices.
( Transportable tablepaces are a different concept).
If you have a valid backup, then you can build a new database in the new server ( using the backup).
Re: Can I attach a cold backup of one instance to another instance [message #109495 is a reply to message #109347] Fri, 25 February 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
santywalsh
Please let me know the steps to use cold backup of one instance to create another intance in two different scenarios.
1. Same version. ie if cold backup version is same as the new instance

2. different instance. ie. cold backup of 9.2.0.4 to new instance of 10G

Regards
Santosh
Re: Can I attach a cold backup of one instance to another instance [message #109535 is a reply to message #109495] Fri, 25 February 2005 09:38 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> 1. Same version. ie if cold backup version is same as the new instance

in source :
1. make sure there is no other user;
2. do a clean restart.
3. backup the control file to trace;
4. shutdown
5. DONT OPEN THIS DATABASE UNTIL you are done with step cloning the database in another machine.
6. copy all the initsid.ora(generated from current spfile),datafiles, controlfiles
logfiles,archived logs and evertyhing to the other machine

in target machine:

1. install oracle
2. DONT CREATE A DATABASE.
3. edit the traced control file script to reuse the existing datafiles and control files.
make sure all the path locators are correct.
4. use this script to create the database.
5. now, when u create the database, it will use the existing control files and datafiles.
6. if everything is ok, open the source db.

else
startover again.
this is pain...
easiest way would be,
create the same tablespaces in another database ( like the target db).
create the same users.
export source.
import into target.

>> 2. different instance. ie. cold backup of 9.2.0.4 to new instance of 10G

Never tried this before, i beleive it should work as long as the OS is same.
Do all the above mentioned methods.
in target
edit initsid.ora , set the appropriate value for parameter COMPATIBLE.

Previous Topic: Restoring 1 Table
Next Topic: Offline backups
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:41:46 CDT 2024