Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup some data
icon5.gif  Backup some data [message #115563] Tue, 12 April 2005 12:12 Go to next message
Tiaguinhu
Hello all!

I need to backup a large database that i can only access remotely (around 20G). The main purpose of this backup is to recreate the database structure (there are no information about that database model) at another location.

I could easily solve my problem with a exp of the database but since the database is so big and a ftp transfer of this size would take ages, is there any other way that i can export something like only the first 5 records of each table? Or if it is not possible is there a way to extract the database structure so that it can be recreated?

I'm using oracle 9i in windows.

Thanks for the help! Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2005 12:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Backup some data [message #115566 is a reply to message #115563] Tue, 12 April 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
use options.
exp wtih rows =n will NOT export the data .
ftp the dmp file.
imp with show=y and log=somefile
You can see all the ddl in this logfile.
They would be a little ugly with quotes allover.
YOu can use INDEXFILE=somefile.sql option to extract the DDL of tables and indexes / constraints (ONLY these) which is little nicer

exp userName/passWord full=y  rows=n file=myfile.dmp
imp userName/passWord full=y show=y log=somelog.sql file=myfile.dmp

Re: Backup some data [message #115670 is a reply to message #115563] Wed, 13 April 2005 09:46 Go to previous message
Tiaguinhu
I'll try this as soon as possible.

Thanks for the great help!!
Previous Topic: Oracle Hot Backup Procedure
Next Topic: Trigerring RMAN daily at a specified time for backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:51:42 CDT 2024