Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN expired backup policy
RMAN expired backup policy [message #142678] Mon, 17 October 2005 03:35 Go to next message
msssd786
dear gurus,

i have one file bat that has script below:
================================
CD E:\oracle\ora92\bin
rman cmdfile "E:\ora_Scripts\Expired.bat" log "E:\bkup_orcl\log_expired.log"
================================

i do have another file that has script below:
===============================
connect target sys/sys@ORCL;
allocate channel for maintenance type disk;
run
{
crosscheck backup;
DELETE EXPIRED BACKUP;
crosscheck archivelog all;
delete obsolete device type disk;
}
RELEASE CHANNEL;
===============================

question: above script worked fine, the issue is that physical files where RMAN kept, and also archive files that are already expired, it did not delete, however my retention period of files are 7 days policy...can any one help me out what script it should be, i used only DISK BACKUP. there is also Veritas Backup that worked with TAPE only and has its own script. but i maintain two places...so i need suggestion/advised fro above script if there is any further modifictation required

regards,
salim shahzad
Re: RMAN expired backup policy [message #142719 is a reply to message #142678] Mon, 17 October 2005 07:07 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
'Delete expire' will remove the backupsets marked as expired.
Did you mark them as expired?

>>however my retention period of files are 7 days polic
If you want to keep only 7 days backupsets, and had set rentention policy for 7 days use 'report obsolete/ delete obsolete'.
RMAN cannot locate the backups and copies, then it updates their records to EXPIRED status. You can then use the DELETE EXPIRED command to remove these expired records.

Use the DELETE OBSOLETE command to remove backups and copies that are obsolete, that is, eligible for deletion. You can determine what qualifies a backup or copy for obsolete status in these ways:

* By configuring a retention policy with the CONFIGURE command
    * By using the options on the DELETE OBSOLETE command

The DELETE OBSOLETE command removes both the physical files, deletes the catalog records (if you use a catalog), and updates the records in the target control file to status DELETED.
Previous Topic: what is best? backup set or image copy!!!!
Next Topic: hot backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:25:21 CDT 2024