Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » backup policy help needed
backup policy help needed [message #151984] Tue, 20 December 2005 05:55 Go to next message
msuluhan

Hi

I am trying to plan a backup policy for customer's 18TB Oracle instance.

The backup device is EML 245E (6 LTO3 drives and 245 slots). The device is connected to the SAN fabric. Oracle instance running on EVA 8000 hw. I will use HP Dataprotector software.

My customer wants cost effective, 3 months protected backup policy and also they wants to need minute by minute recovery guarantee.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Regards
Murat

Re: backup policy help needed [message #151994 is a reply to message #151984] Tue, 20 December 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Look into RMAN.
The last time we bench-marked, we were able to restore and recover within a minute.
RMAN is free (along with oracle distribution).
RMAN in 9i can write only to disk ( There are numerous Improvement / features request we have placed to Oracle to facilitate RMAN media manager API free of cost. I do not know its current status in 10g).
You want to backup to tape directly (using RMAN) you need some MML API (from your vendor) which is usually pricey.
I have not worked with HPdataprotector.
Does it support RMAN?

Re: backup policy help needed [message #152013 is a reply to message #151984] Tue, 20 December 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
msuluhan

Hi Mahesh

I will use RMAN and I used RMAN lots of time (since 2001).

DataProtector uses RMAN like Veritas NetBackup, Tivoli and like any other 3rd party Oracle online backup tools.
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11671_div/11671_div.html

My concern is how can I decrease the number of tape cartridges depends on the recovery time. I'm in pursuit of a solution that'll merge number of cartridges and recovery time in a good manner

regards
Murat
Re: backup policy help needed [message #153400 is a reply to message #151984] Mon, 02 January 2006 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waseem_aijaz
Hai,

Your database size is big. As guided by others, use RMAN. Don't directly backup on the tape. Take backup first to the Hard drive. from Hard drive copy to tape. What I experienced is , "Backing to the tape is very slow". Ofcourse others can correct me if I am wrong.

Re: backup policy help needed [message #153437 is a reply to message #153400] Mon, 02 January 2006 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> What I experienced is , "Backing to the tape is very slow
Depends on your configuration.
In your case Is it slower than the (time taken to backup to disk + backup disk to tape)?
Re: backup policy help needed [message #153440 is a reply to message #151984] Mon, 02 January 2006 06:34 Go to previous message
waseem_aijaz
Hai,

Sorry my statement was not clear. The hard disk should be on a computer box( say X) other than production box. Later from X we can backup to tape according to flexible schedule.
Previous Topic: Cannot connect to Oracle Database
Next Topic: Backup Scripts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:48:25 CDT 2024