Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Monitoring backup process
Monitoring backup process [message #152399] Thu, 22 December 2005 22:05 Go to next message
iriswancy
I'm new in database administration and everytime when i do a backup processing for a schema, i always need to go back and forth from my place to the database server to monitor whether the backup processing has been done or not as my seat is quite a distance far from the server.

Is there any ways to monitor backup process using Oracle Enterprise Manager?

Is there anyone can help?

Thanks & Regards,
Iris
Re: Monitoring backup process [message #152452 is a reply to message #152399] Fri, 23 December 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
well..servers are allways away from the place where one sits..but you can connect to that server from where you sit , isnt' it? You do not need OEM, just for this purpose....

For example, in my office, I can connect to another machine via using remote desktop.

Re: Monitoring backup process [message #152462 is a reply to message #152452] Fri, 23 December 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iriswancy
Dear Niravshah,

Thanks for reply. Well, my PC is connect to the server but i want to monitor the backup processing via my PC. Currently, my PC was installed with OEM and can this application can be used to monitor backup progress.

Or can you recommend other ways to monitor the backup progress?

Or any application tht can be used for monitoring such as putty or cygwin?

Regards,
Iris
Re: Monitoring backup process [message #152464 is a reply to message #152462] Fri, 23 December 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Hi,

by backup you mean: export backup? or cold backup? or hot backup? or they are rman backup?

we use only export backup , and they run at night, and next day I check the logfile..

so what do you want to monitor and what type of bkup u take?

thanks
N.

Re: Monitoring backup process [message #152473 is a reply to message #152464] Fri, 23 December 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
@niravshah
>>we use only export backup
Export / Import was never ever considered as backup. Never rely on exported dumps as the primary method of backup.
If your data is somewhat worth, consider other methods (preferably RMAN).
Re: Monitoring backup process [message #152487 is a reply to message #152473] Fri, 23 December 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

I agree with mahesh.

Your database is under threat if you are just relying on export/import.
Re: Monitoring backup process [message #152504 is a reply to message #152487] Fri, 23 December 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Hi Mahesh,Tarun

I totally agree, and I have so often tried to convince our senior guys but the policies of clients dictate to operate in noarchivelog mode and to rely only on export backup ONLY..

thanks
n.

Re: Monitoring backup process [message #152577 is a reply to message #152504] Sat, 24 December 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iriswancy
we use exp .dmp as our backup.

During the days, we need to run commission EOD and before we do that we need to make a backup copy. So i always need to monitor the backup process when will it finish exporting the dmp file.

i just wish to monitor the process thru my PC rather than walk back and forth to the server.

Yes, u guys are right as i agree with Mahesh.

We are doing some research in RMAN backup. Anyone familiar with RMAN backup?

Regards,
Iris
Re: Monitoring backup process [message #152578 is a reply to message #152577] Sat, 24 December 2005 04:14 Go to previous message
tarundua

Just look into the manuals for RMAN and you will be able to get everything there.

And after reading manuals you can have a look here.

http://www.orafaq.com/faq/rman_backup_and_recovery

regards,
tarun
Previous Topic: lost tables... plz help!!!!
Next Topic: ORA-04067&ORA-06512
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:35:55 CDT 2024