Home » Other » Client Tools » Installation /use of sqlplus with oracle 10g
Installation /use of sqlplus with oracle 10g [message #16252] Thu, 18 November 2004 17:56 Go to next message
Maria
I am a complete newbie at this. I downloaded oracle 10g and installed it. Now I dont know how to start using sql plus. I have received a script from a friend of mine that turns on services that oracle needs. I have being doing some reading on the net and certain environment variables need to be set?? I am so lost as to even start doing something in SQL please any help, link anything will help. (yes I am taking a course on it)
thanks for your time and patience
Maria
Re: Installation /use of sqlplus with oracle 10g [message #16253 is a reply to message #16252] Thu, 18 November 2004 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I am using 9i, but I imagine 10g is still similar. Are you using Windows? Hopefully, you installed the database server and not just the client.

If there is a SQL*Plus icon on your desktop, then click on that. If you don't have a SQL*Plus icon, then click on Start in the lower left-hand corner of your screen, then All Programs, then Oracle, then Application Development, then SQL*Plus. If you can't find that either, then search your system for the file sqlplusw.exe and start that file.

Either of the three methods above should get you to a logon screen that asks for a username, password, and host string. Hopefully, during installation, you were prompted for passwords for users like system and you remember or wrote down those passwords. Oracle usually also installs a user scott with password tiger. So, try entering scott in the user name box and tiger in the password box. You should be able to leave the host string box blank and have it go to the default database. Then click OK.

That should get you to the SQL> prompt. From there you can execute SQL commands and use edit to invoke the editor and create scripts and store them in .sql files, so you can run them.

Please let us know if you are able to accomplish all of the above and get to the SQL prompt.
Re: Installation /use of sqlplus with oracle 10g [message #16254 is a reply to message #16252] Thu, 18 November 2004 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maria
Well Iam running windows xp. All the services are running, I am even starting sqlplus as sqlplus /nolog and now I get the error of not connected
I followed the advice above, the symptoms sounds like I am forgetting to set something up
Please Help
Thanks for your time
Maria
Re: Installation /use of sqlplus with oracle 10g [message #16256 is a reply to message #16254] Thu, 18 November 2004 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Can you post an exact copy and paste of what you are running and the error message that you are receiving, including the error number?
Re: Installation /use of sqlplus with oracle 10g [message #16258 is a reply to message #16256] Thu, 18 November 2004 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maria
Microsoft Windows XP [[Version 5.1.2600]]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and SettingsMaria>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Fri Nov 19 01:47:50 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

SQL> create NEW_TABLE(
2 maria CHAR(230)
3 )
4 ;
SP2-0640: Not connected
SQL> exit

C:Documents and SettingsMaria>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Fri Nov 19 01:48:43 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: scott
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Enter user-name:
Re: Installation /use of sqlplus with oracle 10g [message #16272 is a reply to message #16258] Fri, 19 November 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
It looks like you are getting connected O.K. with nolog and I would not expect to be able to create a table after connecting with nolog. Although you are unable to connect as user scott, it is apparently not due to an invalid username or password, since that is not the error that you receive. Here is what the Oracle on-line documentation has to say about the error message that you received, followed by a link to the section on troubleshooting Oracle net services. Let us know what happens. Perhaps others can offer additional advice.

ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Action: The listener was unable to start a process connecting the user to the database server.

Cause: Perform these steps:

Turn on tracing and repeat the operation.
Evaluate the contents of the trace file to diagnose the problem.

See Also:
"Oracle Net Services Tracing Error Information"

Re: Installation /use of sqlplus with oracle 10g [message #16280 is a reply to message #16272] Fri, 19 November 2004 17:35 Go to previous message
Maria
I have fixed the installation problem. It was so simple. At the moment of installation I was not creating a Database so of course it wouldnt let me in by any means. I told you i was a newbie at this with no experience whatsoever. But thanks for your help and your time and your patience , specially to Barbara
Maria
Previous Topic: Toad explan plan script
Next Topic: how to start or configure isqlplus on home pc
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:06:08 CDT 2024