Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » restoring rman backup to test database from live db (merged)
restoring rman backup to test database from live db (merged) [message #264417] Mon, 03 September 2007 04:40 Go to next message
aboodlardy
Hello ,

friends i hve two databases one(one) is exact copy of another(two)

the database one is same as 'two', with even sid and dbid.

Now the 'one' is copied some time ago, now it is not synchronized with two. one's log seq no number is 1000
and two's log seg no is 2000.

My question is how i can update or syncronized my 'one' database with my 'two'. i have archivelog file from two.

Please help me.
Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #264420 is a reply to message #264417] Mon, 03 September 2007 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
No way if "one" was used since the copy.

Regards
Michel
Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #264427 is a reply to message #264420] Mon, 03 September 2007 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aboodlardy
NO...

actually 'one' is same as it was copied, and treated as test database, it just has to be updated, i have archivelog file, rman backup from two.

Can i apply logfile from 'two'? HOw , or any other way to update.

please help

[Updated on: Mon, 03 September 2007 05:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #264434 is a reply to message #264427] Mon, 03 September 2007 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If you have backup of "two" then why not restore it in place of "one"?

Regards
Michel
Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #264436 is a reply to message #264427] Mon, 03 September 2007 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lecorr
Hi,

as said by Michel, if you started up this database, even one time, for oracle, it is now a different database.

Depending your oracle version, starting with 9i, and IF you did not modify the data during your tests, you could try to load the archivelogs via the logical standby mechanism (with some limitations in 9i and far less in 10g).

Then Oracle will read the archive logs of your production database and 'replay' the transactions in your test database.

BUT this CANNOT give you any warranty that the data will be the same. All depend of the data you already have in your test database.

I use LS for this kind of purpose, and it works.

This said, if you have RMAN backups, why not simply restore your production database?

Regards,

Christian
Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #264648 is a reply to message #264436] Tue, 04 September 2007 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aboodlardy
Sorry for late reply.

Michael you said i should restore the backup of 'two' in 'one'.
But as i said it is rman backup , and it was taken using rman which was without catalog , so please tell me how can i use these rman backups to restore in test (one) database.

OR

can i export the full database.
and import into test database but records may get duplicated.
if this is true can u write proper syntax for it.

Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 September 2007 02:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #264650 is a reply to message #264648] Tue, 04 September 2007 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Just copy the control file to the target server and execute rman.

Regards
Michel

Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #264660 is a reply to message #264650] Tue, 04 September 2007 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aboodlardy
Hello

Michael

In my target database location for some datafiles is different and how i can inform rman at target about the backup taken using rman at my source database.

Please help.
Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #264674 is a reply to message #264660] Tue, 04 September 2007 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide
Chapter 7 Advanced RMAN Recovery Techniques
Section Restore and Recovery of the Database on a New Host

Regards
Michel
Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #264718 is a reply to message #264674] Tue, 04 September 2007 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aboodlardy
Hello

Michel

Thanks for a valuable link.
I have gone through this link and hve undtood ,and even tried,
But my only one doubt is that if two machines are not connected with each other in any way, how can we take rman back from source database. If we take it on to floppy or any device and copy on to the target server, rman here , not taking this backup but the backup taken on the same (target where we r tring to restore) machine.

So please show me the way to it.
Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #264737 is a reply to message #264718] Tue, 04 September 2007 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Try to fake the original rman backup directory in your target server as RMAN requires to find the backup sets at the same place.

Regards
Michel
Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #265043 is a reply to message #264737] Wed, 05 September 2007 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aboodlardy
hello

Michal

As u said to copy the backups to same location, i have done that,
and even change 'configure channel "to my location"' but it is taking rman backups of old backup ,means host database rman's backup, not the backupset to store from live database.

Please help
restoring rman backup to test database from live db.. [message #265055 is a reply to message #264417] Wed, 05 September 2007 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aboodlardy
hello friends

I have backupsets taken using rman on live database, and i want to restore these backups in test.

i hve copied bkpsets from live to my test in the sam locn as in live.

i have change 'configure channel device type disk format to this locn' .
and copied control file using rman on test.

But rman on test is not taking backupsets from this loactin where i hve copied the live rman's backup.
rman on test is taking its on backups .
i hav set dbid, then copied controlfile form autobackup then mount
then
restore.
but this restore is from rman' on test which it took on test database.

my question is how to make rman on test database to take backups copied from live database using live database's rman.

please help
Re: restoring rman backup to test database from live db.. [message #265066 is a reply to message #265055] Wed, 05 September 2007 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You can't, as far as I understand the question.
Please use standard english with ALL characters.
Your post is hard to read.

Regards
Michel
Re: updating copied database. Please Help [message #265071 is a reply to message #265043] Wed, 05 September 2007 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
What is "live database" we talked about "one" and "two" till now?
I don't understand what you're saying.

Regards
Michel
Re: restoring rman backup to test database from live db.. [message #265080 is a reply to message #265066] Wed, 05 September 2007 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aboodlardy

i have two databases, one is live and second is test.
i had copied the live database some time earlier with some data on test machine now it is test database.

NOw, after few weeks i want to update that test database.
so, i have backups of live database taken using rman.
i have copied that backup to my test machine to the same location as it was in
the live database using rman. Now whan i try to restore this backup using rman on test database.
this rman on test database is not takin backup to restore from the location where i have copied the live backup
but taking its own backup taken on test machine.

i want ,test rman to take backp from live database rman's backup.
Re: restoring rman backup to test database from live db.. [message #265112 is a reply to message #265080] Wed, 05 September 2007 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Is this not the same topic than your previous one?
I merge them.

Regards
Michel
Re: restoring rman backup to test database from live db.. [message #265160 is a reply to message #265080] Wed, 05 September 2007 10:09 Go to previous message
DreamzZ
aboodlardy wrote on Wed, 05 September 2007 05:31

i have two databases, one is live and second is test.
i had copied the live database some time earlier with some data on test machine now it is test database.

NOw, after few weeks i want to update that test database.
so, i have backups of live database taken using rman.
i have copied that backup to my test machine to the same location as it was in
the live database using rman. Now whan i try to restore this backup using rman on test database.
this rman on test database is not takin backup to restore from the location where i have copied the live backup
but taking its own backup taken on test machine.

i want ,test rman to take backp from live database rman's backup.

easy and simple way again run export on LIVE and EXPORT that on TEST ,NO OTHER WAY.
Previous Topic: RMAN and SYSOPER
Next Topic: create backup daily
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 06:00:36 CDT 2024