Home » Server Options » Data Guard » How to change a database_mode from primary to standby (Oracle 10gR2 on Linux)
How to change a database_mode from primary to standby [message #284501] Thu, 29 November 2007 22:36 Go to next message
larry_sun@hotmail.com
We have two 10gR2 databases running on LINUX servers (primary and standby) and implemented with Data Guard 10gR2. Everything worked OK until a few day's ago, the DIMM RAM failure on the primary database server. The primary database was failed over to the standby database successfully, and standby database now became the new primary database. After we replaced DIMM RAM on the OLD primary server, it backup online and we try to switch the database role to standby database.

My question is how to change the database role of the OLD primary to standby database? If I start up the OLD primary database from OEM Grid Control, is it going to switch OLD primary to standby database automatically? if not, I may have two primary databases running in the Grid Control configuration, and it might crash my current primary database.

Any help is appreciated.

John
Re: How to change a database_mode from primary to standby [message #284505 is a reply to message #284501] Thu, 29 November 2007 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
I strongly suggest that you open a Service Request with Oracle.

Do you really plan on following the advice of unknown strangers to ensure the integrity of your Production data?

What happens if/when a problem results?
Who will pay the price if a disaster occurs?

Re: How to change a database_mode from primary to standby [message #284507 is a reply to message #284501] Thu, 29 November 2007 22:54 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You have to recreate your OLD primary database in the same way you created your OLD standby.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: switchover from primary db to standby
Next Topic: oracle 9i logical standby database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:41:04 CDT 2024